Skip to main content

a finite view of design

For myself, design begins and ends with strict right angles and the geometry that ensues from the use of this simple rule. Perhaps, a majority could not envision such a drastic division from the fact and form subdivisions that we grew up with, as home. Maybe this type of form presents a coldness, and yes this particular specimen pictured does lend a industrial chill, however with a dash of natural cedar planks and perhaps some warm earth tones it could be near temperate.

What I'm focusing on is the intent of simplicity, using space and geometry to make a cubist sculpture (art) and also an interior of living openess. This allows the majority of community space, i.e. living room, kitchen, dining, to be enjoyed from any part of the floor plan. Yet, private space such as bedrooms almost seem like personal tree forts.

I know this type of "modern or contemporary" design is selective, however, if we don't jump to judgement based on first impressions, you never know...

Last, but not least, is the perspective of less waste and more efficiency in building and maintaining a structure, such as a house. Most traditional homes have varying degrees of angles inherent in design, and these angles not only add extra cost to a structure, but also produce significant material waste($) . Furthermore, modern type architecture lends one to look differently at finishing materials such as a polished concrete slab floor poured over hot water piping running throughout allowing super efficient heating and lower energy consumption equaling lower bills! And where traditional type flooring is used, not so traditional sources pop up in the form of highly renewable wood flooring like bamboo... all of which only add to a modernesque style.

Its not everyone's cup of tea, but its definitely a simmering cup of water waiting for the chance to steep.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Eternal light...

Ibaraki_Kasugaoka. This Japanese Architect has constructed the perfect building, for me, in which to worship. My reasoning, is due to the reduction of religious iconography which leads to, well, religion. Since Yeshua didn't come to create a religion, I feel simplicity best suits worship of an unseen Creator. Though I would never want to reduce the importance of the work completed upon the cross, the symbol of my shame and at the same time the triumph of my Messiah. Furthermore, Yeshua speaks of how HE is the light of the world and came into this world to save, by way of the cross... This building, as a place to worship, complements singleness of though and focus, not on earthly objects, but the very light that is the symbol of life and a picture of Yeshua.

stages of teddy bear life

Artist Stephanie Metz does a wonderful service to life with this incredible idea. The stages of development from a teddy bears perspective, in which children, might gain an understanding of the miracle of life. What an imaginative way to simplify the goings on within the womb when life is being fearfully and wonderfully woven together. I'm looking for this set for my own children's education! I probably won't get the skull rendition of teddy bear, however, I also applaud a very seemingly original idea.

finite first day..

Malakai's first day of pre-preschool was one that I actually missed. I rendered this from a photo that the lovely misses took, and he seemed so melancholy...I may have exaggerated this emotion, but I hope I captured it. He happens to love school now.